Friday, September 24, 2010

Moon Festival

I spent the majority of last week being sick. Boo.  I didn't even let myself update the blog because, as many of you have surely experienced, being sick far from home just makes you homesick and I didn't want to send out any gloomy tidings by posting when I was in "such a state." By the end of the week I had pathetically lost any sense I may have brought here with me having convinced myself that I was probably going to die here on my couch if I couldn't get home to America before the Chinese germs got me for good.

Needless to say, they did not get me (I only had tonsillitis and a stomach bug in the first place) and I'm feeling tons better thank you very much.  It was really nice timing too that the first day I was able to leave the apartment the weather here had magically snapped into fall paradise. Fall is my absolute favorite. I've heard it doesn't last long here, so I'm glad I was out and about to experience it from day one.

Here were are on Lujiazui
Joel had Wed-Fri off from school in celebration of the Autumn Moon Festival. Last night we went downtown with two of our favorite people here to do a little picture taking and sightseeing. It was a beautiful night, and we had delightful company.

Downtown at the Bund
The full moon was beautiful over the skyline. It almost looked like they'd planned the cityscape to compliment the sky at this exact time of year. I can't express to you how many people were down at the Bund cramming into each other trying to get the closest spot to the water for pictures...it was intense. But I can't blame them- the moon really was in fine form.

Skyline under the Autumn Full Moon

After our pictures somehow a fun little game of "take pictures with the foreigner" got started.  I've never really understood why that's such a fun pastime over here. I just don't get the appeal. Back home I've never had the desire to take my picture with a stranger, but who knows, maybe after a year here that will change.

Please note: I'm not noticeably taller, and I'm wearing heels.

The boy in the middle was extremely polite and we had a good conversation during which I feel certain that he used ALL the English phrases he knew. If I said something outside of his script he became very puzzled.

This guy was just awkward.


Unfortunately having three days off in the middle of the break means that Joel will have to work this Sat and Sun, but we think it was worth it. We got to explore the city together yesterday and today. We found a few used book stores that we were excited to find. Granted, the vast majority of shelves were filled with yellowing copies of Danielle Steel novels, but we think that a little rummaging might produce better results.

We've also discovered a new and intriguing treat from McDonalds. I give you the flavor-piped soft-serve cone!
Tada!
They come in green, pink, brown and purple. So far we've tried three out of four flavors with mostly good reviews. This afternoon Joel and I ordered a pink and brown cone each respectively and our English speaking cashier confirmed that we had ordered "chocolate" and "strawberry" which, we agreed made sense. Come to find out the flavors were actually mocha and raspberry, but we were still quite pleased. The green flavor is some kind of lime. I haven't tried it personally yet, but my friend said that it was actually a bit tart. Interesting!

1 comment:

Dorit Boxer said...

You are adorable and glowing under that beautiful moon. I was doing the same moon dance here but with far less people! Thank you for blogging about your experiences. You are so very talented.